Director, Mechanical Engineering
New York, NY, USA
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2023
At Bowery, we’re making wildly delicious food more accessible to everyone. Driven by our proprietary end-to-end technology, our farms are transforming the entire fresh food supply chain to be simpler, safer, and vastly more sustainable.
We have 5 farms in operation (including state-of-the-art R&D and innovation farms) and we’re just getting started. We’re backed by tech and agriculture industry leaders with $647M in equity and debt capital, and our products are sold in over 1,400 locations.
Working at Bowery is more than just a job. It’s a chance to make a global impact with first-of-its-kind technology and ridiculously good food. We’re always looking for passionate minds to grow (and eat) with us! Ready to make a real difference? Join us. We’d love to have you here.
P.s. Check out The Roots: Bowery Farming's People Podcast for all things Bowery culture, teams, leadership, and karaoke (yes, karaoke)
About The Role:
We are seeking a Director of Mechanical Engineering (Mechatronics) for the Robotics, Hardware, and Automation (RHA) organization to lead a team and support our operations across our farm network. This position will work closely with our advanced engineering, facilities, technology, and launch teams to develop best-in-class solutions for our indoor vertical farms. This job is based in NYC at our HQ and travels to our farms throughout the US as we continue to expand our footprint.
What You'll Do:
- Lead a team in the overall design of end-to-end robotics, material handling equipment (MHE), automated storage and retrieval systems (ASRS), Autonomous Guided Vehicles (AGV), and automation solutions for vertical farming
- Develop and manage a team dedicated to project engineering, robotics, vision systems, ASRS and MHE
- Coordinate with vendors and ensure the supply of equipment for farms
- Lead and manage the approval of manufacturing drawings, equipment inspection, and installation leading up to commissioning
- Work with our Controls Engineering and Design Engineering teams to ensure global success.
- Work with multinational vendors and long-term project life cycles
- Coordinate with partners in Operations to improve and sustain systems the team is responsible for
- Oversee Mechatronic design implementations at the farm level during construction and ramp, implement new solutions into existing farms, and retrofit
Who You Are:
- Experienced in 3D and 2D CAD platforms
- Experience in industrial electrical distribution, controls design, robotics and automation, mechanical design, and software integrations
- Experience with construction codes and practices
- Experience with ASRS system design and project execution
- Skilled in leading and developing teams
- Knowledgeable in overseeing the development of automated solutions
- Collaborative team player with strong interpersonal skills
- Prioritizes safety in all situations
- Seen as a natural team leader with excellent interpersonal skills
- Experienced in managing fast-track design/build projects or significant upgrade projects
- Proficient in leading Factory Acceptance Testing (FAT)
- Skilled in developing design documentation and specifications
- Experienced in industrial manufacturing methods and solutions
Benefits As Good As Our Greens:
- To support you and your family, we offer health, dental, and vision insurance; mental health resources; family forming support; long-term and short-term disability insurance; FSA; HSA; commuter benefits and gym reimbursement
- 401k retirement plan and company stock options so that you can reap the benefits of every Bowery win
- The more balance, the better. We offer unlimited paid vacation, paid holiday - plus 16 weeks of paid parental leave so you can focus on what matters most
- From internal mobility to a mentorship program and curated L&D initiatives, we are fully invested in your growth
Our commitment to eliminating bias and ensuring pay equity goes beyond pay transparency. Click here (https://bit.ly/3CUwuUY) to learn more about how compensation works at Bowery, how we came up with the salary on this job posting, and what we’re doing to ensure your compensation is internally and externally equitable.
The salary for this role will be $175,000. If this role is of interest to you, we encourage you to apply no matter what so we can see your profile and background. You can trust us to make an assessment based on your unique skills and experience and communicate where you are leveled.
Bowery is an equal-opportunity employer - a place that celebrates unique backgrounds, qualities, and cultures that will enrich the workplace. We are attempting to redefine what a sustainable agricultural supply chain can look like. We cannot achieve this mission without a team that reflects the diversity of people who want fresh, locally-grown food in regard to race, ethnicity, gender, sexuality, age, national origin, religion, family status, disability, military status, and experience. We strongly encourage people from marginalized communities to apply to join our team.