Devens, MA, USA
Posted on Saturday, April 30, 2022
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) has the fastest, lowest cost path to commercial fusion energy.
CFS collaborates with MIT to leverage decades of research combined with groundbreaking new high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnet technology. HTS magnets will enable compact fusion power plants that can be constructed faster and at lower cost. Our mission is to deploy these power plants to meet global decarbonization goals as fast as possible. To that end, CFS has assembled a team of leaders in tough tech, fusion science, and manufacturing with a track record of rapid execution. Supported by the world’s leading investors, CFS is uniquely positioned to deliver limitless, clean, fusion power to combat climate change. To implement this plan, we are looking to add dedicated people to the team who treat people well, improve our work by adding multifaceted perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have achieved outstanding results through a range of pursuits, and have skills and experience related to this role.
ARC will be the first machine to produce electricity from fusion energy, serving as the cornerstone to a new industry. ARC will use deuterium and tritium for its fusion fuel. While deuterium has a high natural abundance, tritium will need to be made inside the ARC plant from the fusion neutrons and lithium in the blanket. The tritium will need to be separated from the blanket FLiBe molten salt and purified. Additionally, the tokamak exhaust, containing deuterium, tritium, helium, and other trace gasses, will need to be purified before the deuterium and tritium fuels are injected to the torus. The Tritium Expert will be involved in ARC tritium processing and storage system design, identifying technical gaps and risks, and working with CFS R&D and Open Innovation to close the gaps and risks towards a successful ARC tritium processing and storage system.
This team member will:
- Identify and manage technical gaps and risks for the ARC tritium systems
- Work with CFS R&D and Open Innovation to identify and execute on opportunities to close gaps and retire risks
- Collaborate with the SPARC tritium team on transferring over experience, knowledge, and lessons learned from SPARC
- Work with the Procurement team on identifying and working with suppliers to develop the pipeline for tritium systems on ARC
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- PhD in Chemical Engineering, Materials Science, Mechanical Engineering, or related field
- 10 years of experience in working with light isotope (hydrogen, helium) processing systems
- 5+ years of experience in vacuum systems
- Detailed knowledge of modern tritium processing techniques
- Detailed knowledge of design of vacuum systems
- Analytical instrumentation
- Process engineering and systems integration
- Interface management
- Change control
- Laboratory experience handling hazardous materials
- Experience writing requirements and designing to requirements
- Experience writing operating procedures, compiling data, and presenting results in written and oral communications
Additional preferred experience and/or qualifications:
- Hands-on experience with modern tritium processing systems
- Gas processing from molten salt, especially FLiBe
- Ability to perform activities such as typing and sitting for extended periods of time
- Willingness to occasionally travel
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.
See more open positions at Commonwealth Fusion
Something looks off?