Quality Control Inspector
Somerville, MA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, August 2, 2023
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) has the fastest, lowest cost path to commercial fusion energy.
CFS collaborates with MIT to leverage decades of research combined with groundbreaking new high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnet technology. HTS magnets will enable compact fusion power plants that can be constructed faster and at lower cost. Our mission is to deploy these power plants to meet global decarbonization goals as fast as possible. To that end, CFS has assembled a team of leaders in tough tech, fusion science, and manufacturing with a track record of rapid execution. Supported by the world’s leading investors, CFS is uniquely positioned to deliver limitless, clean, fusion power to combat climate change. To implement this plan, we are looking to add dedicated people to the team who treat people well, improve our work by adding multifaceted perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have achieved outstanding results through a range of pursuits, and have skills and experience related to this role.
CFS is seeking an experienced Quality Inspector to lead inspection and test activities for the SPARC project. You will perform daily inspections on precision components using a variety of advance inspection equipment during receiving, in-process and assembly stages. You will also perform detailed documentation reviews of source inspection documentation, including material certifications, dimensional inspection results, chemical analysis, and other quality reports and information.
This team member will:
- Conduct dimensional inspection of high precision machined components at receiving, in-process and pre-assembly stages as required
- Execute inspections to required accuracy
- Prepare and document detailed inspection reports and nonconformances as needed
- Analyze and interpret vendor submitted dimensional inspection reports
- Review and approve inspection and material test reports from vendors
- Support other mechanical testing and welding inspection needs as required
- Support ISO 9001:2015 activities on the shopfloor
- Reviews blueprints and documentation to ensure appropriate materials are used and specifications are followed.
- Interface with Technicians on issues related to quality and help them in understanding and interpreting quality specifications and technical drawings.
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- High school diploma
- 5+ years of experience in CMM inspections
- GD&T Training
- Proficient in interpretation and usage of ASME Y14.5 (Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerance)
- CMM Programming, Calypso and PCDIMS
- Be able to set up, maintain, and use varieties of inspection hand tools (caliper, micrometer, bore gages, rings & plug gages, profilometer, coating thickness gage, comparator, sine bar, etc.)
- CMM, Romer Arm, etc
Additional preferred experience and/or qualifications:
- Experience in Aerospace or Automotive Industry
- Mechanical testing experience on Instron
- Zeiss Calypso programming experience
- Polyworks experience
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs
- Perform activities such as stooping, climbing, typing, standing, and sitting for extended periods of time
- Dedication to safety to mitigate industrial hazards that may include heat, cold, noise, fumes, strong magnets, lead (Pb), high voltage, and cryogenics
- Willingness to travel occasionally or do required nights/weekends/on-call
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.