Devens, MA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2023
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) has the fastest, lowest cost path to commercial fusion energy.
CFS collaborates with MIT to leverage decades of research combined with groundbreaking new high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnet technology. HTS magnets will enable compact fusion power plants that can be constructed faster and at lower cost. Our mission is to deploy these power plants to meet global decarbonization goals as fast as possible. To that end, CFS has assembled a team of leaders in tough tech, fusion science, and manufacturing with a track record of rapid execution. Supported by the world’s leading investors, CFS is uniquely positioned to deliver limitless, clean, fusion power to combat climate change. To implement this plan, we are looking to add dedicated people to the team who treat people well, improve our work by adding multifaceted perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have achieved outstanding results through a range of pursuits, and have skills and experience related to this role.
Reporting to the Lead Operations Engineer for SPARC, the Operations Engineer will support SPARC operational preparation, commissioning, and normal operations. The Operations Engineer will be the liaison between the in-field components and the SPARC Control Room. They will be expected to be the Subject Matter Expert of the service systems that are the backbone of the SPARC Tokamak. These include the electrical distribution, cooling water, compressed air, HVAC, and other required systems. This will include procedure development, maintenance plan development, normal operation, troubleshooting, testing, and training. The candidate should be self-motivated and able to work with limited oversight.
This team member will:
- Operate, maintain, and test equipment, components, and systems associated with a plant
- Troubleshoot assigned systems and equipment, including cooling water, compressed air, HVAC, liquid nitrogen, and electrical distribution
- Operate plant equipment in a safe and efficient manner
- Perform switching and tagging to support site maintenance
- Develop procedure of brand new systems as they are being built
- Plan maintenance of brand new systems
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- High School Graduate/GED
- Previously qualified Lockout Tagout (LOTO) / Tagging Program
- Complex facility operations (power plant, oil & gas, LNG, etc.)
- Strong safety background
- Comprehensive understanding of engineering principles and theory of operation of mechanical, electrical, and hydraulic systems associated with facility operations
- Well-developed analytical and problem-solving skill to permit analysis and evaluation of system problems and the ability to apply knowledge and the use of procedures to the operation
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Excels in a constantly changing environment
- Ability to learn new things quickly
Additional experience and/or qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or equivalent experience
- Strong background in Human Performance
- Experience with high voltage electrical systems
- Experience in Radiological Environments
- Ability to occasionally lift up to 50 lbs
- Perform activities such as typing, standing, or sitting for extended periods of time
- Dedication to safety to mitigate industrial hazards that may include heat, cold, noise, fumes, strong magnets, lead (Pb), high voltage, and cryogenics
- Willingness to travel or work required nights/weekends/on-call occasionally
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.