Milpitas, CA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2023
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) has the fastest, lowest cost path to commercial fusion energy.
CFS collaborates with MIT to leverage decades of research combined with groundbreaking new high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnet technology. HTS magnets will enable compact fusion power plants that can be constructed faster and at lower cost. Our mission is to deploy these power plants to meet global decarbonization goals as fast as possible. To that end, CFS has assembled a team of leaders in tough tech, fusion science, and manufacturing with a track record of rapid execution. Supported by the world’s leading investors, CFS is uniquely positioned to deliver limitless, clean, fusion power to combat climate change. To implement this plan, we are looking to add dedicated people to the team who treat people well, improve our work by adding multifaceted perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have achieved outstanding results through a range of pursuits, and have skills and experience related to this role.
This CFS R&D Technician will provide technical support and assistance in R&D and process development projects focusing on materials characterization and metrology.
This team member will:
- Work within a multi-disciplinary and proven team of top scientists and engineers
- Assist with process development and experimental studies
- Operate laboratory tools and systems
- Perform materials characterization and data analysis
- Report on and be accountable for project progress to Senior Process Lead
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field preferred, e.g., materials science, physics or chemistry
- 5+ years of relevant laboratory experience including materials characterization, materials synthesis, and data acquisition and analyses
- An exceptional safety record and attention to detail
Additional experience and/or qualifications:
- Thin-film deposition technologies
- Thin-film characterization tools and methodologies such as XRD, SEM, AFM, profilometry, etc.
- Data analysis using statistics
- Fundamental vacuum pump operation, maintenance, and leak check, etc.
- Hands-on experience with machine shop tools
- Experience with DAQ for process/system or motion control
- Ability to occasionally lift up to 50 lbs
- Perform activities such as stooping, climbing, typing, standing, or sitting for extended periods of time
- Dedication to safety to mitigate industrial hazards that may include heat, cold, noise, fumes, strong magnets, lead (Pb), high voltage, and cryogenics
- Willingness to travel or work required nights/weekends/on-call occasionally
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.