Thermo Fluids Engineer
Energy Impact Center
Washington, DC, USA
Posted on Thursday, February 9, 2023
Last Energy is seeking an experienced Thermo Fluids Engineer for the development of thermal systems components within our comprehensive Power Plant System. The successful candidate will leverage their expertise in Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD), and system level codes to perform in-depth multiscale analyses of heat transfer in internal turbulent flows at both the component and system levels.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
- Application of standard methods of design and analysis to provide pragmatic engineering solutions to fluid and heat transfer systems across the plant.
- Perform steady-state/transient fluid flow and heat transfer analysis of industrial turbulent systems at the component (equipment) and system (plant) levels.
- Model and simulate single and multiphase flows
- 2D/3D Component level analysis through the use of Finite Volume Method (CFD) codes with and without high performance computing resources.
- 1D System level analysis via “system” codes, dynamic process simulators, and/or heat and flow network codes.
- Potential Fluid-Structure Interaction (FSI) coupled analysis between FEA and CFD codes for challenging structural problems.
- Conduct thorough validation and verification of numerical models, ensuring accuracy and reliability in simulation results
- Aid in the design of laboratory and rig-scale experiments for verification and validation of thermal systems.
- Develop system/component design requirements and acceptance criteria inline with best-practices and regulatory guidance.
- Oversight of external Scopes of Work and academic activities.
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical or Chemical Engineering
- Masters or PhD degree in Mechanical or Chemical Engineering is preferred
- 5+ years of experience in a relevant profession
- Experience with computational simulation tools, such as ANSYS/CFX/Fluent, OpenFOAM, COMSOL, MATLAB, Simulink, Simscape, Modelica, Aspen, Python, or StarCCM+
- Programming experience for providing numerical solutions is preferred but not necessary.
- Experience with standard “hand-calculation” engineering design methods for scoping and verification activities.
- Proficiency in utilizing advanced optimization techniques to enhance thermal system performance
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work in cross-functional teams
- Creative thinking and a passion for innovation in thermal design
Last Energy is an equal opportunity employer. All competent applicants will get fair consideration without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or any other legal protective attributes.