Lead Gameplay Designer
WHAT MAKES US EPIC?
At the core of Epic’s success are talented, passionate people. Epic prides itself on creating a collaborative, welcoming, and creative environment. Whether it’s building award-winning games or crafting engine technology that enables others to make visually stunning interactive experiences, we’re always innovating.
Being Epic means being a part of a team that continually strives to do right by our community and users. We’re constantly innovating to raise the bar of engine and game development.
What We Do
Put your design skills to work at a cutting-edge company that challenges the norm. From character and level design to competitive gameplay and system design, help shape the future of interactive entertainment at Epic.
What You'll Do
Epic Games is looking for Lead Game Designers to join our team working on Fortnite. In this role, you’ll drive a team of designers in order to create features and systems that delight players with fresh experiences. Lead Game Designers at Epic are a part of a cross-discipline development team that own the vision and drive to create innovative features and content which expand the Fortnite universe.
In this role, you will
- Own the design, vision and outcome for major features or large areas of the game.
- Communicate and represent a project vision to team members of all crafts; collaborate with product management and marketing teams to ensure player satisfaction and overall game health.
- Lead by example to set the quality bar for design.
- Actively participate in big-picture decisions, and ensure the design team focuses on the right elements to achieve superior results.
- Create and supervise the creation of clear, structured design documents.
- Drive collaborative and iterative prototyping, both paper-based and in-game; work closely with production to identify, prioritize, assign, and evaluate design work.
- Lead, develop and grow the design team, enabling designers to achieve their career goals and best outcomes while also increasing the capabilities of the team; resolve conflicts and foster a healthy, fun working environment.
What we're looking for
- 7+ years experience shipping multiple AAA titles as a Game Designer.
- 2+ years in a Lead Game Designer role, including experience managing or leading a team.
- Passion for games with a wide breadth of game knowledge.
- Demonstrated talent for empathizing with players and a deep understanding of player motivations.
- Strong interest in BR and multiplayer games with an understanding of what makes them work.
- Organized leader who can structure and plan their own work, and guide planning and goals for their teams.
- Solution oriented problem solver who can react quickly to changing project needs and drive to decisions.
If you have a portfolio/reel/website you'd like to share, please hyperlink it to your resume, or submit it as an attachment with your application.
This role is open to multiple locations across North America & Europe (including CA, NYC, and WA).
Pay Transparency Information
The expected annual base pay range(s) for this position are detailed below. Each base pay range is relevant only for individuals who are residents of or will be expected to work within the specified locale. Compensation varies based on a variety of factors, which include (but aren’t limited to) things such as skills and competencies, qualifications, knowledge, and experience. In addition to base pay, most employees are eligible to participate in Epic’s generous benefit plans and discretionary incentive programs (subject to the terms of those plans or programs).
Epic Games spans across 19 countries with 55 studios and 4,500+ employees globally. For over 25 years, we’ve been making award-winning games and engine technology that empowers others to make visually stunning games and 3D content that bring environments to life like never before. Epic’s award-winning Unreal Engine technology not only provides game developers the ability to build high-fidelity, interactive experiences for PC, console, mobile, and VR, it is also a tool being embraced by content creators across a variety of industries such as media and entertainment, automotive, and architectural design. As we continue to build our Engine technology and develop remarkable games, we strive to build teams of world-class talent.
Like what you hear? Come be a part of something Epic!
Epic Games deeply values diverse teams and an inclusive work culture, and we are proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. Learn more about our Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Policy here.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Epic does not accept any unsolicited resumes or approaches from any unauthorized third party (including recruitment or placement agencies) (i.e., a third party with whom we do not have a negotiated and validly executed agreement). We will not pay any fees to any unauthorized third party. Further details on these matters can be found here.