People Operations Manager
People & HR, Operations
Posted on Thursday, April 27, 2023
Loyal is developing drugs to extend dog lifespan; we aim to build the defining aging company. Loyal was founded in early 2020 and has raised over $50M from Khosla, First Round Capital, Collaborative Fund, Longevity Fund, Quiet Capital, BoxGroup, and more. Loyal is working on bringing to market the first drugs intended to extend lifespan (years of life) and healthspan (quality of life). We aspire to build a pharma brand people love around deeply technical products. While we are currently focusing on dog drugs, our ultimate aim is to take what we learn in dogs to leapfrog into human aging drugs and build a company that catalyzes and captures the public’s excitement around aging therapeutics.
About the role
We are hiring a People Operations Manager with a focus on people. You will manage the People Operations processes and serve as a thought partner for the VP of Operations. You will play a critical role in helping Loyal to attract, develop, and retain talent and ensure that the organization's people strategy is aligned with its overall business strategy.
Your day-to-day May Include:
- Partnering with business leaders: works closely with the leaders of all departments to understand their pain points and provide guidance on people matters.
- Talent acquisition: is responsible for developing and implementing recruitment strategies to attract and retain top talent for Loyal.
- Performance management: works with the VP of Operations to develop and implement performance management strategies that help to identify, develop, and retain high-performing teams.
- Employee relations: serve as a point of contact for employees who have concerns or complaints and works to resolve these issues in a fair and consistent manner.
- Training and development: is responsible for identifying the training and development needs of employees and developing programs to address these needs.
- Compensation and benefits: works with VP of Operations and business execs to develop and implement compensation and benefits strategies that are competitive and aligned with Loyal’s overall business strategy.
- Compliance: ensure that Loyal is in compliance with all relevant laws and regulations related to human resources.
Who You Are:
- You are a strategic thinker but also can roll up your sleeves and execute.
- A solid operator.
- You have a data / analytical / systems background.
- Proactively identifies areas of opportunity and proposes and implements solutions.
- Ambitious - you want to build something big.
- Fast learner, high output, hustle, impatient.
- Comfortable managing across and up.
- Super high-quality bar - you will push us to build better teams than we thought possible.
- Incredibly reliable and organized.
- You are empathetic - you care about people’s problems and are motivated to resolve them quickly!
Reasons you may not like this role:
- We are ~60 people - a startup experiencing the requisite growing pains.
- We are a lean team: you will need to do more with fewer resources.
- Serve as a crucial point of contact between executive leadership and employees.
- Manage all People Operations functions, such as onboarding/offboarding, benefit & compensation administration, visa-related requests, payroll, time off requests, and performance management.
- Maintain compliance with local, state, and federal employment laws and regulations.
- Supervise and oversee the entirety of office functions (e.g. inventory, catering, trips, budgeting, and more).
- Build and implement a system to support an inclusive and diverse community throughout the company.
- Facilitate and lead employee relations activities, including conducting internal audits and disciplinary meetings.
- Plan and direct employee engagement events, which promote a high-performing, inclusive, and mission-driven culture.
- Maintain industry-leading practices to foster a best-in-class workforce and culture of security and compliance.
- Maintain awareness of industry best practices for data maintenance handling related to your role.
- Adhere to policies, guidelines, and procedures pertaining to the protection of information assets.
- Report actual or suspected security and/or policy violations/breaches to an appropriate authority.
We are an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with anti-discrimination law, it is the purpose of this policy to effectuate these principles and mandates. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type and affords equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We conform to the spirit as well as to the letter of all applicable laws and regulations. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Lean into moonshots | We do not settle for incremental change. We have the bravery to take risks and shoot for the impact we want to have.
Opportunity is at the intersection | We lean into combining disciplines, expertises, and perspectives not normally adjacent. We design our organization to facilitate cross-pollination and cross-collaboration. We reject silos.
Expertise without ego | Titles do not determine who has a voice. We work on hard, technical problems and have a ton of fun while at it.
Learning by doing | Our path is novel and many things we are doing have never been done before. We lean into MVPs and are open to unexpected outcomes.
Transparency and rejecting paternalism | We value leading with context. We equip people with the context and background necessary to make their own decisions and act in the best interest of Loyal. Empower team to succeed.
Empathy and respect for all life | Our patients are not just numbers. Our work is intentional, thoughtful, and guided by respect for life. We take our responsibility to pets and pet parents seriously.
See more open positions at Loyal
Something looks off?