Flight Controls Engineer
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2022
Merlin is an early-stage autonomy company, building software to control sophisticated transportation systems. Our mission here at Merlin Labs is to develop hardware and software solutions that deliver the capability for aircraft to fly useful missions autonomously and safely. Our first product will be a certified system to bring automation to existing fixed wing aircraft.
We’re backed by some of the top institutional venture capitalists in the country, our headquarters are located in Boston with hubs in Denver, Los Angeles and the Mojave Desert. Come join our diverse, world class team, made up of people from places like Google, Airbus, Boeing, UTC, the US Navy, and the US Air Force.
All of the sky, none of the limits!
Who you are:
Are you a flight controls engineer looking for something that you just can’t find in big aerospace? Do you dream in the frequency domain, or maybe in state space? Would you like to own a significant percentage of key systems for a new product? If so, you might be a good fit for the team in a Flight Controls Engineer role here at Merlin.
- Design and implement flight controls for our aircraft autonomy system.
- Write requirements for high level autonomy functions and low level flight control.
- Help create and use the simulation tools needed for development and testing (Simulink control law modeling, data analysis with MATLAB or Python).
- Participate in flight test to verify control law performance on multiple aircraft.
- Write, test, and document Simulink control law models according to Merlin’s development standards, and participate in certification activities.
- Collaborate across Merlin to develop novel, certifiable systems to solve the toughest problems in aviation and autonomy.
- BS in Aerospace/Mechanical/Electrical Engineering
- 5+ years of experience developing control systems for fixed wing aircraft, with demonstrated deep understanding of fixed wing aircraft dynamics, classical and modern control theory / design / analysis
- Experience decomposing systems requirements into high level requirements for both outer loop and inner loop control design
- Experience working in Model Based Development and certification of flight control systems, including proficiency in MATLAB/Simulink or another model-based development toolset
- Experience designing, implementing, and testing software for real-time systems
- Experience developing certified software under RTCA DO-178C
- MS/PhD in Aerospace Engineering and/or Controls
- Experience developing aircraft simulations using system identification of flight test data to facilitate the rapid design and testing of flight control systems
- Experience analyzing certification guidance materials for impact on automatic control system design
- Flight Test experience writing test cards to validate control system performance and perform failure testing
- Pilot license
- Experience working in an Agile development environment with open-source software tools and Linux
- Proficiency in C/C++ or Python
Merlin Labs offers an innovative, entrepreneurial, and team-focused startup environment. We also offer a top-notch benefits package (health, dental, life, unlimited vacation, and 401k with match) and work/life integration. Being part of the Merlin team allows you to become part of a small team that supports professional development while working together to achieve our mission.
Merlin Labs is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status. All job offers are contingent upon the candidate passing background, export control and reference checks.
Merlin Labs does not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from candidates.