Technical Project Manager
Posted on Thursday, April 13, 2023
Merlin is an early-stage autonomy company, building software to control sophisticated transportation systems. Our mission here at Merlin Labs is to develop hardware and software solutions that deliver the capability for aircraft to fly useful missions autonomously and safely. Our first product will be a certified system to bring automation to existing fixed wing aircraft.
We’re backed by some of the top institutional venture capitalists in the country, our headquarters are located in Boston with hubs in Denver, Los Angeles and the Mojave Desert. Come join our diverse, world class team, made up of people from places like Google, Airbus, Boeing, UTC, the US Navy, and the US Air Force.
Are you a tech savvy project manager who likes to help teams get things done? Are you the kind of person who can go zero to one on process, and adjust the system to make sure folks have what they need to win? Do you hold a high standard, have a low ego, and a spike for communication and ensuring stakeholders feel like they’re informed and in the mix? If you love fixing problems and always keep vigorous focus on the outcome, you might be a good fit for the team in a Technical Project Management role here at Merlin.
- Requires a combination of project management, lightweight process creation and optimization, and execution skills.
- Partner with Merlin engineers, flight ops, certifications and regulatory teams to drive key product deliverables through the entire software development cycle.
- Synthesize concrete technical goals from the product vision and map product strategy to granular team tasks and issues. This means triaging requests and creating maximum focus for the team, while escalating items that need immediate attention.
- Take a creative approach to project management centered around putting a lightweight process in place that allows for rapid iteration.
- Keep a broad and complete state of everything involving or related to your projects. Pre-empt and resolve any issues that may steer projects off-course.
- Create and maintain informative top level reports for the executive team that depict consistent accurate state of projects and projected launch dates.
- Deconflict cross-team collaboration. Read a room of technical experts to align them around shared objectives. Improve efficiency where you see miscommunication or lack of coordination.
- Be prepared to go forward and meet with customers to create an iterative feedback loop that drives product development.
- This role reports directly to the Chief of Staff. You will be attached to Merlin engineering teams and should view the team as your customer.
- BS in a technical discipline
- 2-3 years of technical project management.
- Expertise in implementing lean development methodologies and building systems to track project progress in tools like Jira, Asana, and others.
- Adept at advanced Jira features and reports.
- Experience decomposing strategic product plans into operational project plans for teams to implement.
- Extraordinary judgment and composure in high-pressure situations.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- A real passion for developing strong partnerships and high functioning teams.
- Attention to detail, including maintaining accurate records and diligently tracking key project metrics.
- Ability to travel 25 – 50%.
- US Person status is required as this position may need to access export controlled data.
- PMP Certification.
- Experience as a pilot (former military or recreational).
- Active US Security clearance or eligibility and willingness to obtain a US Security clearance.
Merlin Labs offers an innovative, entrepreneurial, and team-focused startup environment. We also offer a top-notch benefits package (health, dental, life, unlimited vacation, and 401k with match) and work/life integration. Being part of the Merlin team allows you to become part of a small team that supports professional development while working together to achieve our mission.
Merlin Labs is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status. All job offers are contingent upon the candidate passing background, export control and reference checks.
Merlin Labs does not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from candidates.
See more open positions at Merlin Labs
Something looks off?