Posted on Thursday, May 11, 2023
Merlin is an early-stage autonomy company, building software to control sophisticated transportation systems. Our mission here at Merlin Labs is to develop hardware and software solutions that deliver the capability for aircraft to fly useful missions autonomously and safely. Our first product will be a certified system to bring automation to existing fixed wing aircraft.
We’re backed by some of the top institutional venture capitalists in the country, our headquarters are located in Boston with hubs in Denver, Los Angeles and the Mojave Desert. Come join our diverse, world class team, made up of people from places like Google, Airbus, Boeing, UTC, the US Navy, and the US Air Force.
All of the sky, none of the limits!
We seek a Systems Engineer to join our team with a focus on our advanced capabilities systems development. This role will report directly to the CTO.
Who you are:
You are a systems engineer with experience in aviation who enjoys bringing some order and structure to R&D engineering - but not too much. You’re comfortable developing requirements based on high level product goals, your knowledge of aviation systems, and the standards and regulations that govern them. You’re familiar enough with bleeding edge technology to navigate discussions about technology such as machine learning and deep learning, and applications of those technologies to areas such as computer vision and natural language processing. Our development focus is on software, so you should be comfortable working mostly with software components of systems.
- Participate in the development of concepts of operation, system architecture (including functional and physical architectures), system requirements, and system interfaces for new functions and features. On this small team, you will own significant pieces of these activities yourself.
- Work with the R&D software team to capture high level requirements as they are developed.
- Support activities to verify software and systems, including simulator, lab, and flight testing.
- Participate in industry standards development for topics relevant to Merlin advanced capabilities.
- Work across the hardware, software, and system safety teams to capture, document, and communicate requirements and interfaces.
- Serve as a leader, bringing together the disciplines necessary to make the whole system successful.
- BS in Aerospace, Electrical, or Systems Engineering, Computer Science, or a related subject, MS preferred.
- 3+ years of experience conducting systems engineering for aviation products. We are open to a range of experience; role level will be commensurate with experience.
- Demonstrated ability to solve complex architectural and systems engineering related problems.
- Familiarity with advanced technologies and their applications, including at least one of machine learning, deep learning, computer vision, or natural language processing.
- Experience in software engineering, such as developing software requirements, programming in a language such as Python or C++, and using tools such as git.
- Familiarity with standards relevant to aviation systems certification, such as ARP4754A, RTCA DO-178B/C, RTCA DO-254, and RTCA DO-160.
- Pilot experience is a plus.
- Travel required to support team meetings and flight test activities (10% or less)
- Strong preference for Boston or Denver location (relocation available)
Merlin Labs offers an innovative, entrepreneurial, and team-focused startup environment. We also offer a top-notch benefits package (health, dental, life, unlimited vacation, and 401k with match) and work/life integration. Being part of the Merlin team allows you to become part of a small team that supports professional development while working together to achieve our mission.
Merlin Labs is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status. All job offers are contingent upon the candidate passing background, export control and reference checks.
Merlin Labs does not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from candidates.
See more open positions at Merlin Labs
Something looks off?