Software Engineering Manager- Integration
Software Engineering, Other Engineering
Posted on Sunday, July 9, 2023
Merlin is an early-stage autonomy company, building software to control sophisticated transportation systems. Our mission here at Merlin Labs is to develop hardware and software solutions that deliver the capability for aircraft to fly useful missions autonomously and safely. Our first product will be a certified system to bring automation to existing fixed wing aircraft.
We’re backed by some of the top institutional venture capitalists in the country, our headquarters are located in Boston with hubs in Denver, Los Angeles and the Mojave Desert. Come join our diverse, world class team, made up of people from places like Google, Airbus, Boeing, UTC, the US Navy, and the US Air Force.
All of the sky, none of the limits!
We seek an experienced software engineer to lead the integration of Merlin systems as we expand our reach into more types of aircraft. This role is for a Tech Lead Manager, leading a small team of software engineers through new type integrations.
You are a software engineer with significant aircraft systems experience, or a systems engineer with significant aircraft software experience. You’re familiar with the components of automatic flight control systems and their interfaces. Ideally, you’ve worked on a variety of airplane types and have seen how system architectures differ, so you can work from experience when adapting our systems to the variations we might encounter. You have experience leading teams and are eager to keep leading by example with your own technical contributions.
- Lead a small team of software engineers responsible for integrating our systems on new-to-Merlin aircraft types
- Serve as an expert on our software interfaces and drive the designs needed to adapt them to different configurations and equipment found on each airplane we integrate
- Lead development, integration, and test of the software that your team designs
- Participate in system integration and test, including debugging and troubleshooting as necessary
- Collaborate across Merlin to develop and bring to market novel, certifiable systems to solve the toughest problems in aviation and autonomy
- As a Tech Lead Manager, expect to spend your time split roughly evenly between managing your team and making direct technical contributions
- BS in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering or a related engineering discipline
- 7+ years experience in aircraft systems software development
- 1+ years experience leading an engineering team
- Experience integrating and troubleshooting systems containing multiple COTS components, software, sensors, and human-machine interfaces
- Experience with model-based software development using MATLAB/Simulink
- Demonstrable expertise developing software in Python, C, and C++
- Familiarity with common avionics data bus standards such as ARINC 429 and MIL-STD-1553
- Some exposure to software development in an aviation certification environment, including familiarity with DO-178C and DO-331
- Experience conducting systems/subsystems engineering for avionics equipment
- Denver office location preferred, other location or remote ok
- This role requires travel to support integration and test activities (up to 25%)
Merlin Labs offers an innovative, entrepreneurial, and team-focused startup environment. We also offer a top-notch benefits package (health, dental, life, unlimited vacation, and 401k with match) and work/life integration. Being part of the Merlin team allows you to become part of a small team that supports professional development while working together to achieve our mission.
Merlin Labs is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status. All job offers are contingent upon the candidate passing background, export control and reference checks.
Merlin Labs does not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from candidates.