Principal Engineer - Developer Experience
“The front page of the internet," Reddit brings over 430 million people together each month through their common interests, inviting them to share, vote, comment, and create across thousands of communities.
The mission of the Developer Experience team is to design, develop, and support tools and processes that make common developer workflows efficient and reliable.
This role will enable us to architect our Development Environment to scale for the next 3-4 years of continued scale and growth of Engineering. They will help better understand our customers, develop the right standards for how development should work at Reddit and improve the overall developer experience of all of Reddit. In addition, they will mentor Senior Backend Engineers and will be seen as the go-to person for any challenges in the design of our development ecosystem.
What You’ll Do
- Own the design of our Development Environment and make it scale to the next 3-4 years of continued scale and growth of Engineering
- Identify gaps in our current designs and lead redesigns of our Developer Experience platform to improve Developer Velocity and Stability
- Mentor backend developers across the company.
- Be the go-to person for developers on complex problems in backend service development.
What We Expect From You
- Deep understanding of how to build a sustainable development environment at a large scale engineering organization
- 10+ years of Software Development experience with at least 5+ years in a cloud environment (AWS/GCP)
- Experience in influencing larger (500+ engineers) organizations on technical direction/best practices
- Passion for developing scalable, well-designed software that improves developer’s lives
- Experience working with cross-functional teams such as design, product, data teams to deliver great user experiences.
- Strong focus on user experience, usability, scalability, and quality. You are an undying advocate for the user, and you have a deep intuition for how people think and how they interact with software at scale.
- High empathy, excellent communication skills, and the ability to find compromise working across the entire engineering org.
- Comprehensive Health benefits
- 401k Matching
- Workspace benefits for your home office
- Personal & Professional development funds
- Family Planning Support
- Flexible Vacation & Reddit Global Days Off
- 4+ months paid Parental Leave
- Paid Volunteer time off
This job posting may span more than one career level.
In addition to base salary, this job is eligible to receive equity in the form of restricted stock units, and depending on the position offered, it may also be eligible to receive a commission. Additionally, Reddit offers a wide range of benefits to U.S.-based employees, including medical, dental, and vision insurance, 401(k) program with employer match, generous time off for vacation, and parental leave. To learn more, please visit https://www.redditinc.com/careers/.
To provide greater transparency to candidates, we share base pay ranges for all US-based job postings regardless of state. We set standard base pay ranges for all roles based on function, level, and country location, benchmarked against similar stage growth companies. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors including, skills, depth of work experience and relevant licenses/credentials, and may vary from the amounts listed below.
The base pay range for this position is: $222,800 - $334,200.
Something looks off?