Senior Engineering Manager, Core Experience
The Core Experience team’s mission lies at the core of Reddit's success as a platform: we build features that encourage engagement and belonging, enabling better user experiences with rich content and video, enabling smooth and effective content consumption with ML and personalized experiences. We create tools for our moderators to nurture and grow their communities and for all Reddit users to feel safe as they contribute. This team drives several core product metrics for the entire Reddit ecosystem.
As a Senior Engineering Manager you will be responsible for leading your team to deliver high quality software that enables the best possible experiences for our users as you help communities on Reddit evolve and grow. This is a high impact role where you will be involved in technical & product strategy, operations, architecture, and execution for one of the largest sites in the world.
How You’ll have an Impact:
You will partner with a multitude of stakeholders to understand Reddit’s core experiences across all of our product lines and will guide the design and development of experiences that let users get the most out of Reddit. You will be a key driver of the vision, owning and driving the product and technical roadmaps for your team. You will drive a culture of technical excellence ensuring the right bets are taken with the highest quality.
You will be accountable for building, growing, and mentoring a world-class team of engineers to help Reddit reach its goal of bringing community and belonging to everyone. The Senior Manager of Engineering should be passionate about an environment where technology is the key value driver for the business while partnering closely with diverse stakeholders. The right individual will be experienced in scaling large technology teams and creating and delivering a great experience across a broad user base.
This individual will be a key driver in the planning, development, and implementation of Reddit’s composite service architecture, and technology stack on the various platforms including desktop, mobile, and native applications (iOS and Android).
What you’ll do
- Build, hire and lead a high-caliber team of product engineers and mobile developers.
- Work cross-functionally with product, design, and other engineering managers to plan product and business strategy, and to build novel products and features that our half-billion users will love.
- Participate in the full development cycle: design, development, test, experimentation, analysis, and launch. You’ll be reviewing code and design docs, giving feedback on product specs and mocks, and generally helping out wherever is needed.
- Coach and mentor engineers on the team to further their professional development.
- Set and enable a culture of metrics led execution, with efficient processes and strong levels of transparency.
What we’re looking for
- 3+ years building and managing high performing engineering teams.
- 4+ years of experience as a software engineer developing user-facing applications at scale
- Fluency with dealing with product analytics, forecasting and exposure to tools like GA, BigQuery etc.
- Software development experience in one or more general purpose programming languages; Python, Go, Rust, Java, C++
- Strong organizational skills, the ability to prioritize tasks and keep projects on schedule.
- BS degree in Computer Science, similar technical field of study or equivalent practical experience.
- Strong focus on user experience and usability. You are an undying advocate for the user, and you have a deep intuition for how people think and how they interact with software. Experience with social or e-commerce is a huge plus.
- Entrepreneurial spirit. You must be self-directed, innovative, and biased towards action. You live to build new things and thrive in ambiguity.
- Excellent communication skills. You must be able to collaborate with teams in a fully remote environment, and discuss complex topics with technical and non-technical audiences.
- Comprehensive Health benefits
- Retirement Savings plan with matching contributions
- Workspace benefits for your home office
- Personal & Professional development funds
- Family Planning Support
- Flexible Vacation & Reddit Global Days Off