Senior Backend Engineer - Access Control
San Mateo, CA, USA
Posted on Thursday, November 19, 2020
Who We Are
Verkada is the largest cloud-based B2B physical security platform company in the world. Only Verkada offers seven product lines — video security cameras, access control, environmental sensors, alarms, visitor management, mailroom management and intercoms — integrated with a single cloud-based software platform.
Designed with simplicity and scalability in mind, Verkada gives organizations the real-time insight to know what could impact the safety and comfort of people throughout their physical environment, while empowering them to take immediate action to minimize security risks, workplace frustrations and costly inefficiencies.
Founded in 2016 with more than $360M in funding raised to date, Verkada has expanded rapidly with 14 offices across three continents, 1,500+ full-time employees and 15,700+ customers across 70+ countries, including 43 companies in the Fortune 500.
We are a small, dynamic team focused on building cloud-managed access control systems. Access Control is our second major product line. Our Access Control is a cloud based solution meaning users can manage their doors, schedules, and user credentials from virtually anywhere.
We consider our team a startup within a startup, with a fair amount of ownership and autonomy. You’ll be working alongside a dynamic team of firmware, backend, and frontend engineers to develop this product line.
We are #10 on the LinkedIn Top Startups 2020 list and #4 on the Forbes America’s Best Startup Employers 2020. In January 2020, the company raised $80 million Series C at a $1.6 billion post-money valuation and is backed by top-tier investors like Sequoia Capital, First Round, Meritech and Siemens (Next47).
Who you are
- Excited by new products and startups
- You think about delivering best-in-class products and experiences - not features
- You can take a less-than-fully-fleshed-out product idea and drive it to completion
- You are excited about building distributed fault-tolerant systems
- BS or a graduate degree in Computer Science, Maths, Engineering, or science
- 5+ years of industry software engineering experience
- Mastery of at least one common server programming language (Python, Go)
- Mastery of scalable distributed system design, including databases, queues and blob storage
- Experience working in an agile team software development environment
- Software Architecture and API design
- Good understanding of databases including SQL, relational database design, performance and load characteristics, transactions and locking
- Experience with some of the following technologies:
- Distributed data stores (DynamoDB) and caching technologies (Redis, Memcached)
- Asynchronous data processing and stream processing (Kafka, Amazon Kinesis)
Culture and Values
- Self-motivated problem solver: At Verkada, you will tackle large, complex problems with no clear answers.
- Teach and learn: You will learn new technologies while being entrusted with the technical ownership of major systems, and we hope to learn something from you in turn.
- Growth mindset: As a fast-growing startup, every day brings new challenges and opportunities for growth, and we want you to grow with us!
Perks & Benefits:
- Generous company paid medical, dental & vision insurance coverage
- Unlimited paid time off & 11 companywide paid holidays
- Wellness allowance
- Commuter benefits
- Healthy lunches and dinners provided daily
- Generous paid parental leave policy & fertility benefits
Verkada is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to be a welcoming place for everyone, and we do our best to make sure all people feel supported and connected at work. A big part of that effort is support for members and allies of our internal communities like Women at Verkada, Pride at Verkada, Multicultural at Verkada, and Parents at Verkada.
See more open positions at Verkada
Something looks off?